Arrange Application icons on the iPhone or iPod touch
Mac Tip #376, 18 March 2009
Do you have several screens of Applications on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Is it hard to find the ones you need? Customise how they display.
The iPhone, iPad and iPod touch have a lot in common: they all come with pre-installed Applications, and you can add more Applications from the iTunes Store.
When you add an Application it may appear in the last position on the Applications screen, starting a new page as the previous page fills up. Before long you find yourself flipping through several pages of Applications to find the one you want.
To move between Pages of Applications tap just to the left or right of the small row of dots below the Application icons, or swipe right or left. There is one dot per Page.
Here’s how to move the icons to where you want them. In these instructions I’ll just write iPhone, but everything is just the same on the iPad and iPod touch. These instructions were written for an iPhone running version 2.2.1 of the Operating System. Older or newer versions may differ.
To move iPhone Application icons:
- Switch on your iPhone and unlock it. The Applications screen appears, displaying one of the pages of Applications.
- To return to the first Applications page press the Home button once.
- To enable moving Applications around press and hold on any Application. After a moment the icons begin to jiggle, and some display an X in the top left corner. The icons without an X are built-in and cannot be removed.
- To delete an Application tap the X. An alert appears asking for confirmation. To abandon the change click Cancel. To confirm the deletion click Delete.
- To move an Application drag its icon to a new position. The other icons move to make way for it. Drag the icon to the right to move it to a new page, or to the left to move it back a page.
- When you’ve finished moving icons press the Home button once. The icons stop jiggling and the changes are saved.
These older Tips may also interest you:
Do you have any other tips for arranging Application icons on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Share them in the Comments.
Update: to make a folder of apps just drag one jiggling icon on top of another. They join together and a ‘drawer’ slides open beneath them with a default name. Change the name if you like, then press the Home button to save the changes.
Buy books and software
Products you buy through this site help me fund MacTips. I only do affiliate sales for products I believe in, and usually, have used myself. Please use the affiliate links below to buy these and other Take Control books.